Attention Golf Cart Owners
The Bass Lake Property Owners Association wish to inform you of rules and regulations concerning the operation of golf carts at and near Bass Lake. These regulations are determined by the Starke County Commissioners ordinance 2013-1021. A full set of the regulations can be viewed by going to the web: starkecountysheriff.com click on Reports and Permits, click on Golf Carts, click on Golf Cart Ordinance. You can also download the golf cart ordinance here.
We are emphasizing only those that have been noted to be in violation:
- Golf carts must have been granted a permit by the Starke Co. Sheriff’s Department and the permit posted in a clearly visible area on the golf cart. These permits are issued annually.
- Operation is limited to county roads with a posted limit of 35 miles or less. Carts may NOT be driven on any state highway.
- GOLF CARTS MAY NOT BE DRIVEN BY ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 16 AND THE OPERATOR MUST POSSESS A VALID DRIVERS LICENSE.
- No person may operate a golf cart on any county road between sunset and sunrise unless the vehicle is equipped with two (2) operating headlights and two (2) operating brake lights visible from a distance of 500 feet.
- Golf Carts shall yield the right-of-way to faster moving vehicles, and shall not obstruct the flow of traffic, pulling off to the right to allow faster moving vehicles to pass.
- The number of persons traveling in a golf cart shall not exceed the number of adult persons for whom seating is provided in the vehicle.
Any act or omission constituting a violation of this ordinance, including any failure to comply with or to maintain compliance with any of its requirements, constitutes an ordinance violation. A person convicted of violating this ordinance shall be subject to a fine not to exceed TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS ($250.00) per violation. Each day that any of the provisions of this ordinance is violated constitutes a separate offense and violators shall be fined an additional fine not to exceed $25.00 per day plus court costs.
These regulations will be enforced and we encourage you to educate your families and guests to avoid any violations.